Matcha roll cake (抹茶ロールケーキ)
Recipe adapted from cookingwithdog
For the cake
40g castor/fine sugar
4 egg whites
4 egg yolks
35g cake flour
5g (1 tbsp) matcha
30g fine sugar
For the whipped cream and strawberry filling
150 ml whipping cream
1.5 tbsp castor sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
Approx 4-5 strawberries
1. Sift the cake flour and matcha together. Repeat for 2 more times. Set aside.
2. Beat the 40g of castor sugar with the egg whites until stiff peaks are formed.
3. Beat the egg yolks together with the 30g of fine sugar until pale yellow and fluffy. Add the matcha and cake flour mixture and stir until combined.
4. Using a spatula, fold 1/3 of the egg whites into the egg yolk and flour mixture. Gently fold in the rest of the egg whites, a third at a time, until just combined.
5. Pour the batter into a 11 x 7 inch baking pan lined with baking paper. Spread the batter evenly.
6. Bake in 160 C preheated oven for 20 mins. After the first 10 mins has passed, rotate the tray 180 degrees to ensure even baking.
7. Remove from pan and allow the cake to cool completely on a rack. Do NOT attempt to peel off the baking paper before the cake has cooled completely.
8. Chill a mixing bowl in the freezer for about half an hour. Pour whipping cream into the chilled bowl. Add the vanilla essence and sugar. Whip till stiff peaks are formed. Take care to avoid overwhipping.
9. Slice the strawberries lengthwise into 0.5 cm thick wedges. Gently peel the baking paper off the cake. Spread the whipped cream on the top of the cake (the side that faces up during baking). Arrange the sliced strawberries. Roll the cake!
10. Chill for at least 3 hours in the fridge before slicing and serving.